OCD and aversion towards Sweepers - Treating them as untouchables!

I have a question. My mother in law has many problems, she is a patient of OCD. However, one major problem is that she has developed aversion toward Sweepers. Some 40 years ago, a sweeper did some black magic on her because she used to treat him badly (as she believes in caste system and she used to treat the sweeper as untouchable). She says she sees sweepers in her dreams, and it is very scary for her. Since she treats them as untouchables, the mere thought of them coming close to her also makes her go crazy. She takes bath several times in a day……

My question is, if I regress her and she sees a scenario where sweepers are trying to come close to her or touch her or scare her (which is what she sees in her dreams regularly), what should I say (what instruction should I give to her) to help her get rid of this problem for good? Please advise.

5 Likes

Thank you for posting this here Isha!
I understand that it’s your MIL and hence the stakes are high.
This case is as simple as any other session with the 15 stages.
OCD, aversion and all are symptoms. Arrive at the theme after stage 6.
When in doubt, just conduct the 1st session upto stage 11, with focus on relaxation and share the vitals with us so that we can advice better.

6 Likes

Dear Isha ,

Thanks for sharing you concern :

I feel that one cannot plan a script of questionnaire before the session for any client: each session is unique and will flow in a very unpredictable way.

However some rules or thumb will help in framing correct questions ( all these info is thanks to our guru Venu and experience from few sessions I myself have conducted )

1. All sessions are guided by a higher power - clients higher self and your higher self are both present to control and guide the session. So make sure you call upon them and seek their help

2. Stay compassionate and never forget to manage the stress . For managing stress you should Not and you need not know why and what is happening -as the reasons and explanations should preferably come from the client own awareness only and not from therapist rationale mind -remember it is NOT a psychotherapy . So just manage stress by -;: A) reminding client that he or she is only experiencing memory

B) Remind the client that she is protected and safe and that you are present there.

C) use breath to manage stress

D) remind the client that if they choose they can just float above the scene and witness it rather then going through the pain

All said and done , managing stress can be real challenge and nothing may help at times!

1. remember the client will experience and see exactly what is needed for them to heal -your job as a therapist is to -:

A) stay focused on the theme of the session and never miss an opportunity to ask relevant queastions in order to solve the issue at hand

B) get maximum info from the session -Info one may get from the session are of two types - first is what is needed for the client healing -this is the primary goals and second is generic info which may be useful for mankind as a whole

Hope this help

Much love

Ram

5 Likes

Dear Isha ,
Thanks for sharing you concern :
I feel that one cannot plan a script of questionnaire before the session for any client: each session is unique and will flow in a very unpredictable way.
However some rules or thumb will help in framing correct questions ( all these info is thanks to our guru Venu and experience from few sessions I myself have conducted )

1. All sessions are guided by a higher power - clients higher self and your higher self are both present to control and guide the session. So make sure you call upon them and seek their help
  2. Stay compassionate and never forget to manage the stress . For managing stress you should Not and you need not know why and what is happening -as the reasons and explanations should preferably come from the client own awareness only and not from therapist rationale mind -remember it is NOT a psychotherapy . So just manage stress by -;: A) reminding client that he or she is only experiencing memory
    B) Remind the client that she is protected and safe and that you are present there.
    C) use breath to manage stress
    D) remind the client that if they choose they can just float above the scene and witness it rather then going through the pain
    All said and done , managing stress can be real challenge and nothing may help at times!
  1. remember the client will experience and see exactly what is needed for them to heal -your job as a therapist is to -:
    A) stay focused on the theme of the session and never miss an opportunity to ask relevant queastions in order to solve the issue at hand
    B) get maximum info from the session -Info one may get from the session are of two types - first is what is needed for the client healing -this is the primary goals and second is generic info which may be useful for mankind as a whole
    Hope this help
    Much love
    Ram